Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Something Wrong With Any Man Who Wants to Work with Children?

David K writes:

Over the last week, I have heard a number of talking heads and sports radio types call for parents to be wary of men who want to be around boys. They say that we should err on the side of caution and question men who come into contact with youth. One lunatic in particular said there is "Something Wrong" with any older man who desired to commit his time and energy to being around youth.

I immediately recalled your article on this, and wondered what your thoughts were...

It seems to me that this kind of behavior could drive more men away from daycare and elementary school jobs as well as volunteer and charity related positions where they are sorely needed as role models for all children.


David, I don't have much to add. You said it better than I could have.

2 comments:

PeeDub said...

So what you're saying is that talking heads and sports radio types may be morons??

Anonymous said...

I am a man who loves playing with children. I have been known to volunteer and do actual work so as to play with children. It turns out that I am pretty good with children. Even if I was only mediocre, many children do not have many opportunities to interact with men. Men volunteers have an important role.

My volunteering was OK when my own children were children themselves but once they got far enough into their teens, people started looking at me like I was that creepy guy. I have stopped volunteering with children. This doubt placed on all men, and our reactions, are a real and large cost of not policing the Sandusky's and not punishing the Paterno's of the world. Not to diminish the effect on the abused kids, but I bet the social cost of lost male volunteer hours is even greater.