Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Everyone should enjoy your work

This is an actual email that I received this week:


Dear Author,

I’m Simona Vinerean (editor at Expert Journals) and it's a great pleasure to invite you to contribute your best knowledge to Expert Journals! I thought you might be interested in a new publishing opportunity, with extra benefits for you!

As authors, we are all too familiar with the traditional (and expensive) way of publishing our articles. But, what if you could get more benefits out of this process?

Luckily, at Expert Journals, you can benefit of a fast peer-review process of your theoretical or empirical article and you will get published in an open-access system (because everyone should enjoy your work), at a low fee of only 150 Euro.

......

Thank you so much for reading this email!

We look forward to receiving and publishing your paper!

Have a fantastic week!

Warm regards,

Simona Vinerean

I am pretty confused about exactly what the "extra benefits" are for me here. I am also confused about how the "traditional" way of publishing (i.e. peer review) is expensive.

Maybe someone can straighten me out in the comments? In the meantime, I just add the "Expert Journal of Economics" to my list of crap that doesn't count when you see it on someone's vita. Sadly that list gets longer almost every month.


3 comments:

Jack PQ said...

The list of bogus journals is explosing... Easier to keep track of real journals. See these webpages for exhaustive listings:

http://scholarlyoa.com/individual-journals/

http://scholarlyoa.com/publishers/

This is a real problem for multidisciplinary competitions when committees read CVs full of journals outside their field. They cannot tell the wheat from the chaff and I've seen grants awarded to people who published junk in bogus journals.

As Oscar Wilde said, "I would not wish to be a member of any club that would have me."

GeneHayward said...

I cannot focus and give a rational anwser because all the "!" in the e-mail has me over-whelmed!!! :)

BruceB said...

But Simona Vinerean has an MBA from Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu, Romania. And she's the CEO of "Researching Marketing". She's selling her book on Amazon. And she's published in many journals - not just Expert Journal of Economics, but Studies in Business and Economics, Revista Economica, Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, etc. etc. Very productive for someone who may not be 25. I think you're just jealous.